Sunday, June 28

Ravin and Ravin! Donauinselfest

Last night I went with the MBA kids to the Donauinselfest, the "Danube Island Festival." It is the largest open-air festivals in Europe & it is free!! Danube Island is a long skinny island that was manmade when they redirected the Danube (Donau) & added the canal. Anyway, so this festival is 4.3 km (about 3 miles) long, with 14 stages, over 300 bands perform throughout the course of the 3-day festival. I read that most years they have over 300,000 people attend. Think of the biggest concert you have ever been to outside, plus 4th of July type stuff... booths, food, glow sticks for miles & that's this festival. An American band, Snow Patrol was playing there & that's who we headed to see. We started out with about 15 of us and the crowd was so thick and we walked for about 45 minutes and we got down to only 4 people. So, finally we decided to duck into the nearest stage & watched whoever was playing. It was so packed! I have never been so squished & pushed in all my life! The crowd was so big, we thought maybe it was Snow Patrol.. but no it was "Scooter" & the crowd was going nuts for them. It was some weird techno-DJ with bright blonde hair, buck teeth & old... I kept yelling "who the hell is Scooter?!" It was definitely a cultural-experience... this idiot also did a rendition of "walking in memphis," which he changed to "I'm ravin' and ravin" ..."put on my ravin' shoes & I boarded the plane"
oh! and a friend told me today that there were 15,000 for Snow Patrol.. nuts!







walkway


Pretty drink stand. aw! I love punch! yes! can I just have the whole thing?




Emily & Theresa


view across the Donau

Hit up the Latin-Quarter after the festival.. I finally understood what people were saying!
I was talking to an old guy in Spanish!



Chris & Kevin attempting to salsa... they were holding each other.. ever so gently!

No comments:

Post a Comment