Wednesday, August 19

I am so excited about this! "Too bad it's for Walmart" - but I'm cheap, so yes, I will buy this stuff


Last week when Zach & I went trout fishing, we hopped over to the closest Walmart (half an hour on winding roads away) to get some food for our 2day trip. (We bought apple juice, granola bars, cheap turkey lunch meat, bread, hot dogs & ketchup.. yes, Walmart was right up our alley) And I was soo happy to see the new packaging for Great Value! I didn't even recognize the if was from this before version until today when I looked it up. It is so cohesive and it stands off the shelves so well, I'm very impressed. I'm going to look up some details about it:
Blogger comment:
"Whatever you think of the new design it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old version, I'm not in the US so don't really know Walmart at all but I'm stunned such a major brand would have such appalling packaging to start with. Simply shocking!
In that light the new stuff looks great - and don't forget this is a budget brand, it's meant to look basic and convey a non-premium message whilst also looking good and having presence on the shelf - a tricky brief to get right. Sure it could do with some typographic finesse but with such a broad range of products I'd imagine there are all sorts of practical roll-out issues that limit the options. A nice injection of some European style swiss-school simplicity in a sea of overwrought, and frankly dated mid-90's style packaging the US is known for."
Silly Blogger comment from an apparent corporate-drone:
"White space gone wrong, I think. Taken a bit to literally perhaps. Designs like this make it harder for me to defend white space to my own employer. They see this sitting next to a bright, splashy label on the shelf and which do you think they're going to want? Sigh." Splashy? Everything is "splashy", I think this packaging is a nice break from that.
•It's definitely an improvement. To me it goes good with how Walmart looks and feel overall, we are not talking about Nordstrom, it's Walmart...
•From a brand perspective, I would agree with other comments that they have at the very least made it clear to a consumer that it is from the same brand. However, some stronger use of color and use of category segmentation would have brought things to life, mitigated any confusion at home, as well as made it a stronger competitor to national brands.


other large private label distributors (Safeway, Publix, Waitrose, and yes--TARGET).

No comments:

Post a Comment